Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:12:00 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to measure bandwidth per jail

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 01:26:13AM +0000, Nicolas de Bari Embriz Garcia Rojas wrote:
> Hi, any tool, idea or method for measuring the bandwidth consumed per
> jail ? (or by IP)
>
> What about using pflow ( pseudo-device pflow) any advice ?

I found a thread about this topic yesterday via Google.  It was on
the FreeBSD-ISP@frebbsd.org mailing list sometime in 2005 if I
remember correctly.

They came up with a few options

	netflow,

	counting rules in IPFW/pf/ipf

	netstat -rni ( which gets you packet counts,
			-rnbi gives you in-bytes and out-bytes)

	bandwidthd (in ports I believe)

	I suppose ntop could do similar things.

My favorite option was netstat -rnbi | awk '{print $8,$11}' and
feeding that to MRTG.  I have not gotten it implemented yet.

One consideration is that on FreeBSD 8 and older, you don't get out
traffic per IP address with netstat, as far as I can tell.  We're
moving to FreeBSD 9 pretty quickly anyway.

lambert@lambertfam.org