Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:43:42 +0100
From:      Matt Burke <mattblists@icritical.com>
To:        Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <thciobanu@nth.ro>
Cc:        "Pepe \(Jose\) Amengual" <jose.amengual@gmail.com>, freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which one has better support for FreeBSD , LSI or Areca ? with multiport support

On 09/22/12 09:39, Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu wrote:

> After moving away from Windows I also moved away from Areca, as I found
> poor support for it, although the drivers are official:

When I tried the Areca 1320 HBA earlier this year, I found that using the
CLI caused the FreeBSD 9 driver to panic the machine. Submitted a support
request and 2 days later I had an email with a new driver build attached,
which was soon after added to their website.

Their support is actually pretty good!

> - no hotplug (new discs were not picked up automatically, I had to
>   reboot)

Works perfectly on the 1320.

> - low transfer speeds (I found it bottlenecking at ~200MB/s, with
>   Ultrastar 3TB discs being detected as SATA1)

Attached to an Areca 1320, 16x disks (7200rpm SAS, max speed 140MB/s) are
able to deliver >2GB/s combined write speed [1].

SATA support on these is limited however to SATA2 (220MB/sec per disk). The
only SATA disks I use are SSDs (for ZFS ZIL/L2ARC), so I'm more bothered
about latency.

When latency is measured via DTrace on a busy machine, there is no
difference between the same make/model of SSD attached to the Areca card or
an onboard SATA3 AHCI controller [2].

[1] Running 16 parallel instances of 'dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/da..'.
gstripe was massively slower.

[2] ahci0: <Intel Patsburg AHCI SATA controller> port
0x9070-0x9077,0x9060-0x9063,0x9050-0x9057,0x9040-0x9043,0x9020-0x903f mem
0xdfc22000-0xdfc227ff irq 19 at device 31.2 on pci0
ahci0: AHCI v1.30 with 6 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier not supported

arcsas1: <arcsas1: ARC1320 PCIe to SAS 6G Host Bus Adapter.

--

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error, or there are any problems with its content, please contact the sender.

iCritical is a trading name of Critical Software Ltd. Registered in England: 04909220.
Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.

This message has been scanned for security threats by iCritical. www.icritical.com