Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:34:28 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <paulo@main.fiscodata.com.br>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua, J.Hogeveen@twiddle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal-11

|> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:28:18 -0500 (CDT)
|> From: Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>

  What I was saying is that it is possible to get the same error again
and again if the vm is corrupted somewhere.

|> Sounds like a problem with your RAM, cache ram, MB, or uP, with RAM
|> being the most likely.  You're not overclocking, are you?  (If you
|> are, just set it to spec and try again, and *don't* mention it to the
|> list right now; I don't want to have to delete the ensuing rubbish.)

  Yes, I do overclock it. I even run -CURRENT on it. Since it does not
have a floppy drive, last time I did a full reload, I installed the 2.1.6
bindist loading sysinstall with fbsdboot.exe, installed 2.2.5 over it by
hand from a CheapBytes CDROM, cvsupped -CURRENT and built world. To get
it to recognize whatever is in the secondary ide, I need to compile a
kernel with: options	DISABLE_PCI_IDE. One of these days I will try
Linux on it.

  Statistically, it crashes more frequently if running under spec (and
crashes the same way under 2.2.5 and 3.0). When it is in a good mood, it
will build world several times in a row (6-8 hours every one). I never
experienced a crash when running Windows on it (mostly for games, but
survived very well a 60min session trying to stress it to the maximum,
while compiling some large programs with BC 4.5).

  The crashes have become more commom after adding a new 2GB IDE to it.
I have noticed that enabling APM in the BIOS reduced the crashes.

  It is test machine. The machine I do my serious work runs -STABLE
and has a 46 days uptime record (was down for a kernel upgrade).

|> Happy hacking,
|> joelh
|>
|> --
|> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
|>    Fourth law of programming:
|>    Anything that can go wrong wi
|> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

You can press 'd' now :)

Paulo