Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgraph bridging: what is LOCAL_IFACE?

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I think that if you send out a packet on one of these interfaces it may
> still make it out because we don't actually (last time I checked) bother
> to disconnect that, but all incoming packets will be passed to the bridge
> module, which will be keeoping track of MAC addresses and doing bridging
> as required.

So, essentially, there's no TOP part of the virtual bnet0 interface to
move the packets up the network stack? Or have I got it wrong?

> Now, if you want to be on that bridged network as well, then
> you need to nominate which of the NICS should be your representative on
> that bridged network. The TOP part of that NIC (the bit you assign
> addresses to) will be joined into the bridging set, just like all the
> other NICS (logically there is no difference). The bridging code will send
> it a copy of any packets that have it's MAC address as destination and
> broadcast packets, just as it would any other segment..

So the entire point of "nominating" a local interface is just to select
the MAC address by which your machine is known on the Ethernet?

I'm still a bit confused, though. Do you ifconfig your IP protocol
configuration on bnet0 (or whatever you decide to name the interface),
or on the LOCAL_IFACE interface?

Cheers,
Mick