Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:32:14 -0500
From:      Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Imposing ZFS latency limits

I'm trying to find a way to get lower read latency in ZFS when there is =
a failing disk in a mirror. The specific failure mode that I'm trying to =
handle is when a disk takes significantly longer than usual to respond =
to read requests, but is not so far gone that the OS drops it from the =
bus. In that case, the whole pool can become much less responsive than I =
think it needs to be.

Since ZFS has access to the data I'm reading through other members in a =
mirror, I would like ZFS to defer to the redundant disks when individual =
disk latency exceeds some threshold that I would define. Is there any =
provision for this in the FreeBSD ZFS implementation?

	- .Dustin