Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 18:35:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
To:        rama@easynet.fr (David Ramahefason)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with an HP DAT 35480 A 1109

> On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Tom Proett wrote:
>
> > I have a Wangtek DAT drive -- it's an older model.  It used to require
> > a blocksize of 128k when I was using FreeBSD 1.5.1.1.  Now, with FBSD2.1,
> > I have to leave it unspecified.  I would suggest trying some different power
> > of 2 blocksizes, starting with 128k.
> >

> Ok, but when I try to set the blocksize with mt:
>
> mt blocksize 128000
> I get st0:bad request, must be multiple of 128000, and if I change it to
> 256000, I get the same answer.....

BTW, when I try to read a DAT cartridge on my Archive Python DAT drive
I get SCSI timeouts when the tape is written with a SCSI blocksize
of 20480 bytes. Tapes with default blocksizes don't cause these
problems.

I think the timeouts are produced by the tape because the errors occur
even when on other SCSI devices is no activity (I umount the SCSI
hard drives and use only the IDE partition). But when there's
activity on the SCSI hard drives the timeouts occur faster.

Any ideas what the source of the problem might be?

The system is a 486DX50 with 20 MB RAM and an AHA1542C running
-current (4 or 5 days old). The SCSI hard drives are Conners 2105S.

TIA
Robert