Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:32:20 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync as a daemon doesn't play nice with rcng

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:09:43PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> Noticed that the rsync port has an rcng compliant script for starting
> rsync in daemon mode.  Nice.
>
> Unfortunately, rsync doesn't seem to write its pidfile to /var/run,
> and doesn't seem to even _support_ doing so.

The documentation suggests that it *does* support doing so.
The rsyncd.conf(5) manpage (referenced by the rsync(1) manpage) mentions
a "pid file" option that seems to be exactly what you want.
(The rsync port also installs an example rsyncd.conf into /usr/local/etc/
 that sets that option.)

I have never actually tried running rsync in daemon mode so I don't know
if the above actually works, but it certainly seems like it should.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson