Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:28:34 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   goose chase...

well...

i might be after wild gooses here, but i have a reason to believe
windows 95 telnet is able to cause something weird on my -current
machine, problem started about 2 weeks ago, it might've been
caused by me implementing /etc/login.conf but i'm not sure. (yes, yes,
i didnt have that, or /etc/sysconfig for a _long_ while, byt finally
took the whole machine into the _truly_ current stage)

reason i report this is if anyone else is having weird things also...

the symptoms are from slow as hell performance on the telnet window (on
that win95) and occasionally it reboots! the bsd. (with different
kernels, been updating those rather often)

i didnt think that's possible until today when i found out it is not only
the ether connected win95 that can make this, but also a remote win95
telnetting into the machine thru ppp0 from random machine.

and it's only? those win95 telnets that cause this, i constantly ssh
and other people telnet from where-ever and i dont see probs with that.

sure, it could be, and most likely is win95 prob, but why did it appear
only now? assuming it did appear. it also might not have anything to
do with the telnet, but i believe i managed to generate the reboots
to _bsd_ that way. it appeared to reboot after similar things on the win95
end, but it might've been only coincidence. i'd be shrugging this off if
it would not be my _bsd_ that it reboots?.

i have a 67 meg vmcore.0, but i dont know what to do with it... =)
(gdb tells me my kernel.0 and vmcore.0 are unknown format)

mickey