Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:46:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.dk, j_mini@efn.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vendor-specific processor hacks

> I don't feel like creating a long thread where we both keep saying 'you're
> wrong, no you're wrong, no .. you're wrong' over and over again.

hear hear!

>   The question is whether or not a user should be required to keep track of all
> of the bugs that have popped up for their specific processor and enable those
> fixes. (or disable the ones that don't affect them)
>   I say that this isn't very reasonable, and that the user should only be
> required to keep track of his processor's make and model rather than all of the
> specific mistakes that his vendor made.

That's exactly the point, and my standpoint is still that all hacks for a
given CPU type (I?86_CPU) should be compiled in if one does nothing to
prevent it. This covers the vast majority of the users. Then for the
hacker types (like you & me :) ), we can disable those CPU types, and
the hacks we dont like. This is exaclty what the current model buys us.
I dont like another bazillion #ifdefs and stuff just to make a few
hackers happy, they are knowledgeable enough (or should be) to
do this by themselves.

I'm sorry, but that is still my viewpoint, I see your arguments, but for the
next couple of releases (years) what we have will do nicely...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..