Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:10:07 -0800
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [NFS] Incompatible: FreeBSD 4.2 client, Linux 2.2.18 nfsv3 server, read-only export

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:04:54AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure that the v3 specification actually cares about telling the
> client "why",

It doesn't, which I think may have been a mistake.

> > For example, a UNIX "open()" call that calls an "access" vnode operation
> > couldn't, if that file is mounted over NFS, find out that the open for
> > writing is forbidden because the file system is read-only; even if
> > that's the reason, the answer you get back is probably EACCES (that's
> > what happens in the Solaris NFS, for example).
>
> This would be more or less what I'd expect.  From the client's point of
> view, returning "this is a read-only filesystem" is not very useful
> anyway.  What's a read-only filesystem?  The NFS mount?  The filesystem
> backing the mount?

I'm not sure "Permission denied" is all that useful, either; if the file
has permissions rw-r--r-- and is owned by me, "Permission denied" is a
bit of a weird error - I'd rather have the message the program shows me
or logs to a file or whatever say "Read-only file system", as that tells
me that the underlying problem is that *something* is read-only, even if
it doesn't tell me whether it's the client machine's fault for
NFS-mounting it read-only or the server's fault for {locally mounting
it, exporting it} read-only.

> I still don't really understand why the Linux code would return EROFS;

Because it's buggy.

> In the meantime, I'd also ask the Linux NFS maintainers (if they're
> listening) to consider altering their server's behaviour just for the
> sake of correctness (if it hasn't already been done subsequent to this
> relatively ancient release).

2.4.0, which is definitely not an ancient release, still appears, from
looking at the code in question, to have that buggy behavior.