Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 98 10:25:02 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
To:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "eischen@vigrid.com" <eischen@vigrid.com>, "info@highwind.com" <info@highwind.com>
Subject:   Re: Thread Scheduler bug

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:10:06 -0500 (EST), Daniel Eischen wrote:

>Yeah, I just figured this out (should pay closer attention to
>the man pages).  Seems like the profiling timer would be closer
>to what we'd want (not to say the threads library should use
>the profiling timer).  A quick hack to replace occurrences of
>SIGVTALRM with SIGPROF in the threads library seems to make
>the test program work more correctly.
>
>Perhaps SIGALRM should be used instead of SIGVTALRM?

Of course, it we had kernel threads, the pthreads code would be
a *lot* simpler and maybe less prone to bugs, the kernel would
do the preemption for us, and context switches would be much
faster than the current user thread implementation. :)

I've been poking around in the code, and I'd guess that a
uniprocessor kernel threads implementation wouldn't involve
all that much work.  However, I understand there's are fair
amount of kernel work that needs to be done for SMP kernel
threads.