Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:23:33 -0400
From:      Maxim Khitrov <max@mxcrypt.com>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mike.jakubik@intertainservices.com>
Cc:        Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: SU+J on 9.1-RC2 ISO

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Mike Jakubik
<mike.jakubik@intertainservices.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 00:05 +0700, Adam Strohl wrote:
>> On 11/2/2012 23:47, Bas Smeelen wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Why are journaled soft updates the default when installing a new system
>> > from a 9.1-RC2 ISO?
>
>> > Can SU+J be disabled for the 9.1-RELEASE or do you think this is not
>> > going to be a problem for users of FreeBSD? I will have to boot these
>> > two systems single user now to disable the soft updates journal, because
>> > I use dump + restore on live systems, not a problem for me, it is just
>> > an inconvenience.
>>

>> I have to second this sentiment.  Unless the dump/snapshot issue has
>> been resolved they journal should be turned off by default.
>>
>> It's a really nasty bug that causes an instant panic which is awful if
>> the server is in production.  The fact that it happens when you're
>> trying to exercise due diligence (ie; backups) is even worse.
>

> You can disable SU+J after installing, though it would be nice if the
> installer gave you a choice.

I don't think SU+J should even be an option in the installer as long
as this bug persists. If you don't use dump, go ahead and enable
journaling after the installation, but it's not a decision that new
users should be asked to make. This should not have been the default
in 9.0-RELEASE and I'm surprised to see that it's still not fixed in
9.1.

- Max