Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:28:32 -0700
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mfsroot over nfs and optional install.cfg ??

I'm working on doing a FreeBSD jumpstat process based on
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/

My primary limitation is configurability - I need to be able to run sysinstall
with a different install.cfg per install.  So the first answer to that is
"configure each client with a different PXE root and go from there."

Then I get the irritation that I must diddle with an mfsroot image to change
the install.cfg.  I've been poring over what loader documentation I can find,
but still haven't even figured out how the "let's go to mfsroot which will
take us to sysinstall in the next stage" thing works ... there's nothing in
mfsroot's /etc, for example ...

From loader.rc:
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
[...]
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
boot

How is boot different from autoboot?  Can I get around having to load the
mfs_root image and just dump it in the pxe boot directory?  I'm getting a
hunch that maybe I can do an NFS partition and set vfs.root.mountfrom to use
NFS ...

Then, the other question is, how the heck does sysinstall get launched?  If I
can get at a script that launches sysinstall, I could set an install.cfg for
sysinstall to run instead of having to point at differnt install.cfg's via
dhcpd.conf ...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
-danny