Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:25:25 -0500
From:      "Steve" <steve@piperscreek.com>
To:        "freebsdquestions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help  CD not recognized on install  / try #7

Anyone willing to give this one a shot?

I recently purchased The Complete FreeBSD with the 3.2 / 4 CD ROM set from
Walnut Creek.

I have tried to install it, but I keep coming up with this No CD-ROM device
found error.
I went back to check on the kernel settings and tried each the three
supported devices as best as I could .. no success.

The computer is an Acer Aspire with an ATAPI 24X CD-ROM installed.  It came
that way.  I tried Acer.. they knew little but would make an attempt for
$35/hr!
I tried where I bought the machine.. they claimed that I was beyond them.  I
have tried to determine information via looking at the device manager stuff
on Win98.. no answers.. just ATAPI CD-ROM.

Any suggestions?  I was even wondering if there was some shareware program
that could determine what this CD was. I almost forgot.. I did take the
computer apart when I was putting in another HD, and still did not see
anything of value on the CD case.  I "assume" that Acer contracted someone
to make the CD-ROM for them, but as I said, they aren't talking.

About all I can find is that it 'appears' that the CD is on interrupt 15 as
a secondary IDE and port 170.  If I worded that correctly...

I am confused.... How about you?   The CD boots fine.. works fine.. but
nothing I have run seems to detect it.. therefore FreeBSD doesn't seem to
know how to recognize the very CD that it was using.

Thanks..