Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:15:52 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shut-down when access to NFS share is gone

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu> wrote:

> I managed to shut down a machine with an NFS share before the connected
> client was shut down.
>
> Now this client won't shut down. It stands at : All buffers synced.
>
> I suspect it's waiting for the NFS server in order to disconnect.
>
> Is there any time-out I must wait for? Will it help to bring the NFS
> server back up?
>
> Can I in anyway tell such a client to ignore such an error?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_nfs&sektion=8

If the server becomes unresponsive while an NFS file system is mounted,
     any new or outstanding file operations on that file system will hang
     uninterruptibly until the server comes back.  To modify this default be-
     haviour, see the *intr* and *soft* options.

--
Adam Vande More