Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:20:14 -0500
From:      Nathan Mace <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>
To:        fred1@inebraska.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GRUB: can't find kernel

On Monday 25 February 2002 06:58 am, fred1@inebraska.com wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:17:54PM -0500, mace_nathan@ucwv.edu wrote:
> > i just istalled grub, and after much hair pulling and yelling it now
> > boots linux/windows/ and partly boots freebsd.  as it stands now, grub
> > reads the menu.lst file from my linux partition.  that said, when it
> > boots freebsd, loader runs and i get the thing that says "press enter in
> > 5...4..3..2...1". then after that it dumps me at a prompt saying that it
> > can't boot kernel or kernel.old!
> >
> > i tried all variations i could think of conserning boot.  like "boot
> > /kernel" for example.  when i try that it says that it can't find
> > "/kernel".  is there some option i have to pass to grub to tell freebsd
> > what parition to look at to find the /kernel??  please cc and replies
> > directly to me.  thanks for all of your help
>
> Attached is a copy of my GRUB menu.lst, which works fine for all 3.

thanks for the help.  i found my problem, stupid me.  i had "kernel" for both
entries instead of having root for the 1st one if that makes sense.  anyway
now my linux grub boots all 3 OS's.  one last question.  i have grub
installed from the ports tree, but there is no /boot/grub directory. so there
is also no menu.lst how do i get the needed files and stuff in there?  from
what i've read it should be there, but it's not

thanks for all the help

natan