Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:49:49 -0500
From:      Dwayne MacKinnon <dmk@ncf.ca>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Odd reboot problems with 9.0-RELEASE i386

On January 19, 2012 06:34:15 PM Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 14:06 -0800, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently upgraded my 8.2-RELEASE box to 9.0-RELEASE using the
> > old-fashioned cvsup way. I've run into a really strange situation.
> >
> > Everything went smoothly with the upgrade. I then deleted all my
> > installed ports and started reinstalling. I noticed the problem when
> > trying to compile openjdk6.
> >
> > The box would spontaneously reboot. All the time.
> >
> > So, I put the following into /etc/rc.conf. I'll repost here, it's
> > entirely possible I did something wrong:
> >
> > dumpdev="/dev/ada0s1b"  # Device to crashdump to (device name, AUTO,
or
> > NO).
> > dumpdir="/usr/crash/"    # Directory where crash dumps are to be stored
> >
> > I made sure /usr/crash was created and had permissions wide open. Yet, I
> > never got any crash dumps (I recreated the reboot several times over.)
> >
> > I tried compiling a GENERIC kernel; that failed as well. So I got the DVD
> > iso, and copied over the /boot/kernel directory from it.
> >
> > Once I did that, i was able to compile a new GENERIC kernel no problem.
> > (I need to take out the pcn driver; I need le and pcn jumps it.)
> >
> > With the slightly-modified GENERIC kernel, the problem has disappeared.
> > I've compiled openjdk no problem. I tried recompiling my custom kernel
> > and reinstalled it; the problem reappeared.
> >
> > I've attached my kernel config file; there's nothing revolutionary about
> > it. It's almost identical to the one I used for 8.2-RELEASE, but based
> > on the new 9.0 GENERIC.  Maybe someone here will find it useful.
> >
> > A cc would be appreciated as I don't follow -stable.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > DMK
>
> This sounds suspciously like a bug the ports team found on the the 9 RC
> series.  I can't recall where it got fixed, but I'm pretty sure it did
> *not* make it to the release.
>
> You may have better luck with stable/9 instead of 9.0-RELEASE if you can
> do that.
>
> Sean

I'll keep that in mind. For the time being, there's no problem with running
the slightly modified GENERIC. It's just that I've been running FreeBSD since
the 4.X days, and I've gotten into the habit of creating a stripped-down
kernel for my boxes.

I've been unable to track down a bug report that would match up with this. If
you happen to think of it or find it, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Just for my
own curiosity's sake.

Cheers,
DMK