Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 10:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I know when RAID fails ? (mylex, PERC, etc)

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> Well...hot yanking drives bothers me - when they are expensive drives, and
> the possibility exists of killing the drive by yanking it (a drive that is
> otherwise healthy) I am reluctant to do this just to test.

  Well, if the drives dies during a hotswap out, it can't be that good of
a drive to begin with.  If the warranty is already over, and potential
replacement is a concern, they are definitely not expensive.  I love those
5 year warranties.

> What about PERC ?  Do _all_ the raid drivers have a facility to log to
> syslog when bad things happen, or is it dependent on the particular driver
> ?

  There are many PERC cards.  What driver is it using?  What does that
driver's manpage say?

> --pt

Tom