Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:15:05 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd security check for changed-file vs NFS

At 8:48 AM -0500 8/18/99, David Scheidt wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
> > At 6:37 PM -0700 8/17/99, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >    If you removed the stat test, I would simply get rid of the -s
> > >    option entirely - require that all files be queued to the print
> > >    spool.
> >
> > The administration would kill me.  I would prefer to avoid that.
> >
> > (note that the check isn't completely removed, it's "only" nullified
> > for NFS-mounted files.  We use AFS for most things here, so the vast
>
>Couldn't you turn it off only for NFS mounted files?

I first took this to mean "turn off the security check", but now I see
it means "turn off the -s option".  In thinking about this suggestion,
I think that as long as I allow-but-ignore the option for nfs files, it
might work out better than I initially thought it would.   I don't want
to completely reject '-s' because they have that embedded in a lot of
scripts and canned procedures that I doubt they want to search for right
now.  But just ignoring the option for NFS files might not be too bad.

I do keep thinking that they would have a fit if some 'lpr -s' didn't
work because it ran out of space to copy the file into the spool
directory.  Still, I'll have to think about this some more.  Thanks.

> > Any advice on how to kick AIX so the st_dev+st_ino check will work
> > right is also welcome.  It baffles me why AIX does things the way it
> > does.  It kinda looks like the values it uses are pointers to some
>
>The joke about AIX is that it was created by aliens who were given the
>UNIX documentation, but no example system.  I have seen very little
>that suggests this to be untrue.

Everytime I start thinking "well AIX isn't TOO bad", something like
this comes along to remind me...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute