Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 97 10:00:39 -0700
From:      "Mike Burgett" <mburgett@awen.com>
To:        "hardware@freebsd.org" <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: K6 Linux Re-Compile Issue

FWIW, I just got the following from AMD tech support, regarding the problems I
had reported with my initial K6 and running 'make world'

>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:47:35 -0700
>From: AMD Tech Support <hwsupt1@brahms.amd.com>
>Subject: K6 Linux Re-Compile Issue

Hello,

AMD recently received reports from a limited number of users having
intermittent problems while running core re-compiles of the Linux
shareware operating system. Our systems engineering group has duplicated
the observation and determined that it is related to a previously know
erratum. Full technical details of this erratum are documented in
section 2.6.2 of the AMD-K6 MMX Enhanced Processor Revision Guide posted
on our website, www.amd.com. Users that feel they are being affected by
this problem, should contact AMD s support line at (408) 749-3060 and
ask for Dan Hingle or Glen Garcia.

Regards,

Technical Support

Here's the section of the errata that they apparently didn't feel like
appending:

2.6.2 Re-execution of Instructions Due to Self-Modifying Code

 Products Affected. B stepping

 Normal Specified Operation. If the processor detects a potential
   self-modifying code condition, the processor performs specific
   internal actions to ensure that instruction execution occurs in
   the correct manner.

 Non-conformance. If:
   - The target of a transfer control instruction is fetched and
     loaded into the processor s Branch Target Cache (BTC)
   - This transfer control instruction is speculatively executed
     and hits in the BTC
   - An instruction (Instruction  A ) is executed that causes the
     processor to detect a potential self-modifying code condition
     relative to the transfer control target that resides in the BTC
   - Instruction  A  is followed by a register-modifying
     instruction(s) in the form of:
        A long-decoded instruction, or;
        One or two short-decoded instructions
   - The transfer control instruction that was speculatively
     executed follows the register-modifying instruction(s)
     within approximately 1-9 instructions
   - Certain other relative internal pipeline timing conditions
     must occur

   then: the long-decoded instruction, or the short-decoded
   instruction(s), is executed twice.

 Potential Effect on System. If software is not affected by the
   re-execution of the register-modifying instruction(s) for
   instance, loading immediate data into a general purpose register
   then this erratum has no effect on the system. However, if any
   of the instructions that are re-executed change the state of the
   system from the state that would be achieved by the normal
   specified operation for instance, incrementing a register by one
   then this erratum can lead to unpredictable system behavior.

 Suggested Workaround. None.

 Resolution Status. This erratum will be corrected in a future
   stepping of the AMD-K6 processor.

--Mike