Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:50:27 -0700
From:      egravel@juno.com (Emmanuel Gravel)
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting up DNS

I have two networked computers at home.  One is FreeBSD, the other Win95.
I'm experimenting with a local network first before going into buisness.

I've set up a few named files, and for the most part it seems to work,
except that I can't resolve hostnames, and nslookup won't work on the
FreeBSD box.  Here are the files:

hosts.conf:

order hosts,bind
alert on
nospoof on
multi on

1- hosts:

127.0.0.1	freebsdbox	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org
207.240.64.1	freebsdbox	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org
207.240.64.2	win95box	win95box.mtzlplk.org
207.240.64.254	gateway		gateway.mtzlplk.org

2- hosts.allow:

#
# hosts.allow	This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#		allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#		by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#

207.240.64.1
207.240.64.2

3- hosts.deny has no entries (only a small local network...)

4- named.boot:

;
; a caching only nameserver config
;
directory                              /var/named
cache           .                      named.ca
primary		mtzlplk.org	       named.hosts
primary 	240.207.in-adr.arpa    named.rev
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa   named.local

5- named.local:

       IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost.  (
                                      1 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      300      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
              IN      NS      localhost.

1       IN      PTR     localhost.

6- named.hosts:

@	IN	SOA	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org.  root.mtzlplk.org.
(
                                      1 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      300      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
IN	NS	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org

@	IN	A	207.240.64.1
freebsdbox	IN	A	207.240.64.1
win95box	IN	A	207.240.64.2
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1

7- named.rev:

@	IN	SOA	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org.  root.mtzlplk.org.
(
                                      1 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      300      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
IN	NS	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org

1	IN	PTR	freebsdbox.mtzlplk.org
2	IN	PTR	win95box.mtzlplk.org

I left the named.ca file intact (seem to have no need for it anyways...)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?  I'm sure it's a simple, trivial
detail to be fixed somewhere, but since I have little/no experience in
networking and unix-like OS'es (apart from being a user) this is
something
I've never had to deal with before...

Thanks!

Manu