Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:48:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <jps@funeralexchange.com>
To:        <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache FreeBSD exploit released

I have been trying to crack two of my FreeBSD boxes for the past 12 hours
with not luck so far.
# 1 Server
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.23+2.8.7
4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #2: Tue Jun  4 23:33:52 CDT 2002

# 2 Server
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.17+2.8.0
4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Sun Apr 21 05:43:49 GMT 2002

If you read through the source of the exploit you will see that its
preconfigured to only attack certain versions at this time. I do however
believe with enough tweaking and time that you would crack a box. I have
tried it so far with no luck against the system posted above and a older
install with no luck either. The #1 server i am still trying to crack and
i will continue till it either fails or succeeds.
A couple of things to note on how to spot the attack in action. First is
that your messages logfile will be getting between 4-12 HTTPD SIG11 a
errors second. Secondly your httpd-error.log will also have the similar
information.
messages.log
Jun 22 17:00:01 cremator /kernel: pid 41578 (httpd), uid 80: exited on
signal 11
httpd-error.log
[Sat Jun 22 17:43:52 2002] [notice] child pid 50043 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
The only way to trace the attacker i have found so far is to do a netstat
during the attack and you will see the requests coming in on the requested
port (80 by default).
Anyone know of any ports or tools i could use on my servers to watch out
for something like this?. I have already upgraded all my production
servers to the latest versions to protect them but i still would like to
have something like this in place just to be on the safe side.
Thanks

Jeremy Suo-Anttila
jps@funeralexchange.com
iUndertake Inc./ ALLNEO Network Operations.