Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 12:31:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Useful addition to handbook?

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Glen Foster wrote:

> One thing I don't understand and haven't been able to find much
> information on is documentation on the structure and capabilities of
> the 'bmake' source code build system in FreeBSD.  Of course, one of

I've brought up the suggestion of starting a FreeBSD Hackers guide.  The
first section in such a guide would consist of a guided tour of the
source code tree.  It would explain how the build process works,
including the philosohpy of why things are structured the way they are.

However, nobody has shown interest in actually writing such a document.
There could also be the slight problem that not everyone completely
agrees on the "philosophy" part.

In the meantime, the only documentation I'm aware of is the "pmake
tutorial" (/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/) and the makefiles themselves
(/usr/share/mk/* and those in the source tree).

On the bright side, it is a heck of a lot simpler than imake...

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============