Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 22:27:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        crb@glue.umd.edu (Christopher R. Bowman)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1211

> >While the FreeBSD Project is not a 501(C3) (non-profit) corporation and
> >hence cannot offer
> >special tax incentives for any donations made, any such donations will be
> >gratefully accepted on
> >behalf of the project by FreeBSD, Inc.
>
> Why isn't it a 501 c3?

Because my lawyer talked me out of that.  It's an ongoing booking
headache which I really don't need.  Keeping the books for a 501(c)3
also costs around $1K/yr (if you want to KEEP your non-profit status),
which far more than for a run-of-the-mill C corp.  With our current
assets, the first year would have wiped us out already. :-)

					Jordan