Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:10:22 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, ong1s@cmich.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.4 kernel, ppp -auto shutdown

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> >Actually, you should set it faster than that. In order to fully do the
> >v42.bis compression, you need a rate that is ~4x your connect rate. At
> >56kb, that would be 230,400 but most systems have 115,200 as a divisor
> >of 1 for the uart and they won't go that high. If you have a slow
> >system, it may not be able to support sio at 115200 and you could have
> >to drop it until everything is reliable. He may need to specify
> >rts/cts buffering. It seems like the system defaults to everything
> >proper except the speed of 115200.
>
> I have a 56K PCMCIA modem card in my laptop, and that speed statement was
> the cause of all my dropped connection woes.  Once i changed it to 57600,
> everything worked fine.  My connection has been solid as a rock since
> then.

I first started playing with serial communications on a system called
a Thunder 186. The OS was Digital Research's CCPM 86. I had a version
of Kermit that I created to run on my system. When I first started
testing, you could run 9.6kb but you only got out 480 cps from a PC. I
had an XT clone for the second machine. Then someone figured out how
to drop the interrupt latency caused by the DOS interrupt handler and
suddenly we were seeing 960 cps. The amount of computation you had
going made a big difference on when you could get 960 cps without
errors. Then, National Semiconductor introduced the NS16550afn and
almost anyone could get 960 cps and also run Windows 3.1 at the same
time. Now I am running setiathome in the background on my FreeBSD
system and can get text downloads of 10-12k cps to my W2K systems over
a 56kb modem. When you set your speed to 57600, you can't expect these
higher rates. Speed doesn't mean anything, as you have discovered,
when you have to stop and retransmit a packet. It has gotten better
:).

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html