Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:55:05 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 09:57:17AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:

> clefevre-lists@noos.fr said:
> :- oops, rc2 isn't started. too bad.
>
> I think that is exactly the desired design.  The
> RC *system* starts things correctly, but the manager,
> *bypassing* the RC *system* can start and stop things
> exactly as he wished.  For debugging or whatever.
>
> I'd argue that if you want to start/stop a *subtree*, you
> should ask the RC *system* to do that somehow.

I think also, that you want to be careful about forcing dependencies.
There are times when I start one service even though it has a
dependency. It might be the prerequisite is only needed for a certain
function you can do without. I'm sure you can think of other examples.

So, how about an option to the rc.d scripts to ignore the dependencies
for those times when you don't want them?

Also, NetBSD doesn't seem to formalize chaining to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d or
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, unless I missed that.

--
"We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins