Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:09:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "John D. Morrison" <jdm1intx@airmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolving security and permissions problems

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, John D. Morrison wrote:

>I've installed FBSD 2.2.5, read the manual, and have exhausted
>all ideas about how to solve the problems I'm encountering.  When
>I set up my user ID, I made sure to include it in the wheel group, but
>it doesn't seem like I'm getting the permissions I should.  I'm getting
>permission denied messages in /sbin, even though all the flags
>are identical to files in /bin.  Also, my shell and login scripts in my
>home directory are not visible to me unless I change to su.

The bin/sbin files are owned by bin:bin so you can execute them. Just
because you are in the "wheel" group doesn't mean you can do things like
root. You have to "su" to root first. There are _no_ binaries in bin/sbin
that are owned by group wheel. Being a member of "wheel" avails you
nothing in these directories.

For the most part, being in wheel only benefits you by allowing you to
become root.

To see the hidden dot files use 'ls -a' for "list all". You do not need to
be root to see the hidden dot files.

>Also, my path always shows up the same when I use env, no
>matter what changes I make to my .login file in my user directory
>after I change to su.  The path in my .login file includes
>/usr/X11R6/bin, but when I do an env, the path shown does not
>include it.  If I try to use env to change the path to include
>/usr/X11R6/bin,
>it doesn't work.  It just reverts back to the original.

'.login' is for csh. '.profile' is for sh and/or bash. If your prompt
looks like "something$" you use sh/bash. If you prompt looks like
"something%" you use csh. Look in '/etc/passwd' to see what your default
shell is.

You probably don't need to mess with '/etc/profile' ENV variable yet.

>And even su doesn't seem to have the level of access it should.  I
>get permission denied messages even with it.  One thing I did
>notice is that when I  change to su, I get a message saying:
>root:kerberos: 'root not a member of ACL' or something along those
>lines.

This is a FAQ. I don't recall the answer off hand. Look in the mailing
list archives. It is a trivial fix. Also, the message doesn't mean you
don't have the power of root. It has to do with kerberos. Oh yeah... use
'su -K' to surpress kerberos login.

>Finally, when I installed FBSD (from CDROM), I specifically remember
>telling it to include games as part of the distribution, but the only
>directory I have under /usr/games is hide, which seems to be empty.
>Even as su I don't get anything with ls.

$ cd /usr/src/games/whatevergameyouwantoinstall
$ make
$ make install

>I'm very frustrated.

You _must_ read. If reading frustrates you then FreeBSD will frustrate
you. The answer to all of these questions is written down in one place or
another. Here is a starting list. Read 'em front to back.

$ man su
$ man ls
$ man sh
$ man csh
$ man hier
$ man vipw

Stick with it. All of these problems you are having are minor growing
pains. It really is worth it to learn all of this stuff. FreeBSD is a rock
solid platform for just about anything you want to do. Configuring FreeBSD
is really quite sane. Once you get the hang of it you will wonder how on
earth other OSes can be so convoluted.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/