Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:49:42 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: math/R vs. devel/pcre

> I had a problem rebuilding math/R this morning after updating
> devel/pcre; I'm wondering if there's something obvious (to folks
> other than me) that I did incorrectly.

>gcc46 -std=gnu99 -export-dynamic -fopenmp -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc46 -o R.bin > Rmain.o -L../../lib -lR -lRblas
> ../../lib/libR.so: undefined reference to `_pcre_valid_utf8'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1

I can reproduce this without portmaster.  The pcre ABI changed with
pcre 8.30, and R may need to be patched in order to use it -- or there
may be a problem with the pcre port.  I will look into this.  In the
meantime, you will probably be able to build R by selecting
WITHOUT_PCRE_PORT, so that the version of pcre that is bundled with R
is used, rather than devel/pcre.

Thank you for reporting the problem.  However, in the future, if you
believe there is a problem with R, please send a message directly to
me (the port maintainer, bf@FreeBSD.org), so that I will see it
sooner.

b.