Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:23:35 +0000
From:      Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: New BSD Installer

Joe Holden wrote:
> Guys,
>
> This should really be reverted to sysinstall until the new installer is
> at least in a state where it consistently works... the most important
> part of a new users experience is the installer and the few new installs
> I have done lately I've just installed 8.2 and upgraded from there as
> the new installer is terribly buggy.
>
> Few things:
>
> - On my installs at least, if there is an unknown ftp connection problem
> the installer will just bail and say it has been aborted - this
> consistently happens when ftp.de is selected
>
> - there is no method of stepping back through the install
>
> - If a dhcp lease request times out manual configuration isn't offered
Another one I've just encountered several times:

For some reason the output for setting root password has new lines and
lots of space between the various bits of text and isn't taking any
input (see http://i.imgur.com/lTP5b.png)

The lack of installation progress or emergency shell on another terminal
is also something that I think should be considered - being able to see
whats going on and getting error output from the commands the installer
is running is invaluable.