Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:01:11 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Juraj Lutter <otis@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error crosscompiling 14.0-ALPHA1 on amd64 for arm64.aarch64

On Aug 13, 2023, at 13:19, Juraj Lutter <otis@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> On 13 Aug 2023, at 21:13, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> But the offical CI builds on amd64 do not have the problem.
>>=20
>> We still have not found what is different about your context from the
>> standard context used for CI builds and snapshot builds, all of which
>> have worked find building on amd64 to target aarch64 with armv7 =
support.
>=20
> My src.conf:
>=20
> WITHOUT_PROFILE=3Dyes
> WITHOUT_TESTS=3Dyes
> WITHOUT_STATIC=3Dyes
>=20
> WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_ALL=3Dyes

Starting below this is wrong presuming all
builds are actually done on amd64:

> .if "${TARGET}" =3D=3D "arm64" && "${TARGET_ARCH}" =3D=3D "aarch64"
> KERNCONF?=3DGENERIC-MMCCAM
> REPODIR?=3D/data/poudriere/packages/pkgbase
> MODULES_EXTRA=3D"rpi_ft5406"
> WITH_LLVM_TARGET_AARCH64=3Dyes
> WITH_LLVM_TARGET_ARM=3Dyes
> .else
> KERNCONF?=3DGENERIC-NODEBUG
> REPODIR?=3D/data/poudriere/packages/pkgbase
> WITH_LLVM_TARGET_AARCH64=3Dyes
> WITH_LLVM_TARGET_X86=3Dyes
> .endif

Ending here.

This is written as if there were separate toolchains for
each target. That is not how llvm/clang/lld works,
unlike gcc. One toolchain covers all the targets. That
is what the FreBSD llvm support is structured for.

You want the one llvm/clang/lld toolchain that includes
everything required to build any/all of:

A) amd64
B) i386 for amd64's lib32
C) aarch64
D) armv7 for aarch64's lib32

So the *_LLVM_TARGET_* parts would be more like:

WITHOUT_PROFILE=3Dyes
WITHOUT_TESTS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_STATIC=3Dyes

WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_ALL=3Dyes
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_AARCH64=3Dyes
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_X86=3Dyes
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_AARCH64=3Dyes
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_ARM=3Dyes

So: outside the later conditional logic.

(Your REPODIR?=3D lines are identical and could also be factored
out of the conditional logic if they are not expected to be
independently changed. Only the KERNCONF?=3D lines are actually
target specific, needing to be in the conditional logic.)

> make.conf is empty, git workdir has `main=E2=80=99 checked out, =
without any modifications (git status reports clean workdir)
>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com