Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:31:32 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directory removal problem.

Greg,

> I am running current from about 2 days ago.
>
> I was moving my ports directory from one disk to another and all
> seemed to go well except that the directory ports/games/xpat2
> wasn't removed from the first disk. Even when I try to rm -R as
> root, it says:
>
> 	rm: /usr/d2/ports/games/xpat2/: Directory not empty
> 	rm: /usr/d2/ports/games: Directory not empty
> 	rm: /usr/d2/ports: Directory not empty

I have seen similar stuff...  Do you use softupdates?  In early
days of softupdates, when the system crashed, fsck didn't seem to
fix it cleanly.  The fsck appeared to correct the problem but
it really didn't.

So I turned off softupdates (tunefs -n disable /dev/xxxx) and did
fsck manually.  It found the problem and fixed it.  Then I turned
back softupdates on.

I'm not sure this helps but you might want to try it.

Tammy