Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:57:00 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

In a message dated 06/29/2001 11:01:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
roam@orbitel.bg writes:

> > > Really?  Have you even looked at the net4501 board which was mentioned?

>  > It's
>  > >  a single-board computer constructed for some specific communication
>  > >  applications, with no VGA or keyboard support, or spinning fans, and
is
>  > >  pretty inexpensive and in a very small form factor.  Why do I want to
>  > >  replace this with "a new motherboard?"
>  >
>  > Because my motherboard is 20 times faster, has VGA support,doesnt
require
> an
>  > add-on board to do fast encryption and costs about the same as yours.
> Thats
>  > why.
>
>  Again, you are only considering your personal case.  If crypto should
>  be needed on an embedded appliance, I don't think they would need
>  a lightning-fast processor and VGA support, when crypto is all
>  they want.

Your premise that "embedded appliances" are somehow doomed to use pitifully
outdated processors is simply wrong. Embedded MBs with speeds enough to
eliminate the requirement for 1) a slot and 2) an external board are
available for less than the delta in cost. So, logically speaking, anyone
with a requirement for crypto would simply chose a faster embedded MB
solution.

Listen, Im not trying to say that your project has no merit. My post was
originally meant to illustrate to others, who may have been unduly excited
about the prospects, that such a product does not buy you much in a normal
environment. I think that now we have established that its merits are limted
to low-speed embedded solutions, which is just was I was trying to say.

Bryan