Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:32:34 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        g@esil.univ-mrs.fr
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIG BIG problem with Xorg and... something else...

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:10:43PM +0100, g@esil.univ-mrs.fr wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    First don't blame me for cross-posting on stable and x11 lists but both seem
> relevant for my problem.
>
>    I'm tracking 6-STABLE. Since one week, I can't use my computer under FreeBSD.
> The boot is OK, xdm screen is OK. But if I launch a KDE session, I've some color
> problems during initializing session, then X freezes (before end of loading !!!)
> and the only way is to poweroff the computer !!! No ssh, no way to CTRL-ALT F1
> switching to a console screen, the box is down...
>
>    I've googled a lot before posting here, but I've found nothing to rescue
> me... Best idea : problems with the video card (ATI Radeon X300 on DELL Optiplex
> GX280, or, in xorg language :
> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
> PCI: (1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE])
>  are mentioned on some forums which freeze X, but only if DRI & GLX are enabled.
> I've disabled these modules.
>
>    Note I can have a text mode session without any problem in console mode if I
> CTRL-ALT-F1 switch without xdm logon. I also can have a windowmaker session
> until I don't launch a "bad" app... like firefox or any kde component. I can use
> gftp which is OpenMotif based...

Hook up a serial console, and use script(1) to capture any panic
messages, etc.  That'll give you a hint as to what's going on, and you
can see how to proceed.

It's very hard to figure this out within x11.

(Yes, this is a pain, but it could be worse; I'm currently doing a
binary search to figure out when, exactly, -current stopped booting on
my laptop. :-)

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur