Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:41:28 -0500
From:      "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>
To:        Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde 4.8.4

2012/6/17 Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@freebsd.org>

> (CC'ing the list again)
>
> "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com> writes:
> > 2012/6/16 Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@freebsd.org>
> >> Did you have the alsa ports installed when you built mediastreamer and
> >> remove them later or something like that?
> >>
> > I have a vague recollection of something like that.  I can't remember the
> > details but I just checked and find that I have
> > /var/db/pkg/linux-f10-alsa-lib-1.0.21_1
> > /var/db/pkg/linux-f10-alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.21_2 installed currently.
> >
> > While trying to remove them I realized that they are/were required by
> > skype-devel-2.2.0.35_1 that I use daily but . . . .
> >
> > I assume that they need to go an give it another try.  Maybe I can just
> > deinstall and then rebuild skype without breaking kde.  Will know as soon
> > as I get back.
>
> You could check (with ldd or readelf) if libmediastreamer.so is actually
> requiring symbols from those libraries (which would be
> weird).
>
> It'd be good if you could try building kdenetwork4 with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1
> and paste the line that's causing problems, as well as the CMake output
> when it is detecting stuff before compilation.

Raphael,

Just before receiving the above email, I did a recursive erase of kde4 and
family, rebuilt all and much to my surprise, it all built cleanly.  The
machine is across town si I will head over there in just a bit.  I have now
doubt that it will work fine.  Thanks for all the help and I apologize for
whatever I did or didn't do to cause the problem and appreciate your
patience and help that made me understand that I was dragging some legacy
garbage that had to be removed, principal probably being alsa conflicts.

I think if someone else has a similar problem that it is faster to erase
all related dependencies  and rebuild.  If your machine is fast you will
only loose the graphical interface for an hour or so.  Now my problem is
going to be skype that requires linux-alsa.  shouldn't conflict after the
fact, I hope.

Thanks again,

ed