Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:24:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@freebsd.org (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, sef@kithrup.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

> >Actually, I disagree with this.  I think that the higher grain the
> >parallelism, the better the ...
>
> Terry, feel free.  We will consider you patches when we see them.

After Jeffrey Hsu has worked around the problem with the Lite2
code integration (I am not convinced that it isn't a side effect
of the recent VM changes, which have shown up a lot of broken
assumptions in the CSRG code), and the Lite2 code is brought into
the -current tree, I will work on Lite2-ing my FS patches.

If you will remember, my FS patches addressed issues of fine grain
parallelism, starting in June of 1995 (ie: it has been more than
a year since you first saw the patches you are requesting).

In point of fact, I have already prepared all of vfs_syscalls.c for
the lock pushdown from the trap code, as described in my previous
post, by making them single-entry/single-exit.  I really don't see
why the patches need to be all-or-nothing for you to even consider
them in the first place... all that requirement does is make
eventual integration more difficult (and thus unlikely).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---