Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:35:12 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: cvsup error (again)

> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:58:04 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, zen wrote:
>
> > > I think you probably screwed up your cvsup file and grabbed -current
> > > instead.  That's the correct behavior for a -CURRENT config(8).
> >
> > is there a way to fix this problem??
> > because i already re-cvsup it to RELENG_4_8 and still didn't work
>
> If you've already done a build/installworld cycle, no, its not possible to
> reverse without doing a binary "upgrade" from CD back to 4.8.

A buildworld should not be a problem, and normal upgrade procedures
require a successful kernel build and install before installing world,
so it should be easy to back this out by deleting everything in
/usr/obj and then doing a "make clean && make clean" in /usr/src. Then
check out your supfile carefully for anything that might cause it to
get the head instead of the desired branch or tag.

Make sure that you specify the correct tag. You message does not make
it clear whether you are trying for 4.9RC1(STABLE) or a 4.8
release. If a tag is not specified, you get head (which is what you
were seeing).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)