Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:35:31 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Hi,

On Friday 24 February 2012 01:25:01 Damien Fleuriot wrote:

> This is NOT a troll.
> This is NOT a flame.
> Do NOT hijack this thread to troll/flame.

allow them some fun too.

> Now, I find the number of problem reports regarding 9.0-RELEASE alarming
> and I'm growing more and more fearful towards it.
>
> In the current state of things, I have *absolutely* no wish to run it in
> production :(

Did you read deeply into the strategy behind the releases? If I remember right, the odd numbers are a little bit more experimental compared to the even numbers. For myself, I try to stick with even numbers whenever possible. If I install FreeBSD on a serious machine, I never use x.0. It must be at least x.1.

So, I have the same wish as you and did not expect much more.

Never forget, if the people behind the scene never put a release out, we never have the chance to iron out the problems.

And now the fun. I even run 8.3 beta on my personal workstation. But I still would not put 9.0 on any machine I work with or give it to somebody else for this purpose.

Erich