Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:32:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> Congress treats copyright law the same way it treats any other law:
> the most powerful, richest interests and the biggest campaign
> contributors win. And you can bet that heavy hitters such as Microsoft,
> AOL, HP, Compaq, Dell, Sun, EDS, and IBM -- to name just a few -- will
> oppose it. They don't want anything legislated into their products.

Are you kidding me? They're *writing* the "digital rights management"
software and *building* the "digital rights management" hardware, and
they're forming alliances to do it.

> >Ever hear of CPRM (Content Protection for Recordable Media)
>
> Dead in the water.

You and I wish. IBM simply withdrew the proposal to include it in the
latest revision of the ATA standard. Look for it to make a speedy comeback
if SSSCA is passed.

> >Make no mistake about it, "they" want to control what digital content you
> >get to see, hear, and read,
>
> Of course they do. But they won't.

I'd like to think so, but it will take a concerted effort by civil
libertarians and open source advocates, requiring us to actually put pen
to paper and tongue to stamp.

> We can lobby our representatives in Congress, but it'll do little
> good. If we want results, all we have to do is make sure that the
> big corporations know what Hollings' foolish bill will do... and
> Poof! it'll vanish in committee.

What exactly will "Hollings' foolish bill" do that will scare the "big
corporations?"

Cheers,
Mick