Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 07:49:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-current)
Subject:   nfs-diskless

Hi,

Well I guess my basic question is: Does nfs-diskless work with a fbsd-current
client and a fbsd-current server? If somebody can just tell me that they are
using it with fbsd-current, I can go through my setups again to see if I
have done something wrong.

I had nfs-diskless working with V2.0 in January this year and had wiped
all the setups for the bootp etc when I upgraded. Last night I have been
trying to get a nfs-diskless client working using FreeBSD-current, but I
get a panic that it can't find init.

The first part is working:
The diskless machine finds the bootp server, loads the kernel, the kernel
probes everything and then gives two messages roughly:
SWAP 146.64.58.34:/usr/tftp/swapfs
ROOT 146.64.58.34:/usr/tftp/rootfs
                            ^^^^^^ This is where I made the root fs for the
				   client

Then there is a few exec errors while it tries to find init. All of them
give error 20 (Which is ENOTDIR, but /usr/tftp/rootfs/sbin exists) Then it
panics with init not found.

I have traced with tcpdump and I can see where it loads the kernel, but there
is no activity on the ethernet after the kernel is loaded. It looks like it
isn't even trying to read /sbin/init over the net.

Tips and kicks in the right direction appreciated. :)

John
--
John Hay -- jhay@mikom.csir.co.za