Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:37:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!  Bad file descriptor for cuaa2

BTW, i'm running 3.4-STABLE on a Toshiba Satellite 4010CDT.

Well, i've tried several times MAKEDEV with all sort of combinations of
all, cuaa, cuaa0, 1,2, and 3.  Still, nothing.  I merged the new rc
scripts into the system a few days ago, but that shouldn''t matter,
right?  I had just had the serial port up and running a few hours before
last night.  I recompiled the kernel a few times, but only for sound and
to add pnp support with options USERCONFIG.  I could even take that out,
but i doubt it would make a difference.  It didn't make a difference in
the sound, that's for sure.  I was trying to figure out why sound wasn't
working, and when i read LINT, man pcm, and man pnp, it seemed to say i
didn't need the devices audio and dsp, so i tried deleting them to re-make
them.  But that didn't work.  But i didn't do anything to the cuaa
devices, and that's what i don't understand here.  It almost feels like
windows sometimes when something breaks and i don't know why or where to
start.  I searched the mailing list archives and they suggested rm
/dev/cuaa2, then MAKEDEV cuaa2.  I tried it, and still no go.

I noticed when i reboot, there is no beep from the PCCARD starting.  Could
this be something besides cuaa2 that is causing a problem?  The card works
fine under windows.

Please help, i needed this working today for a school project.

-jm