Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:56:21 -0500
From:      Curtis Grote <bmhpath@apci.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cant find /kernal on initial install

We downloaded Boot.flp and Fdimage.exe (rel 2.2) from FreeBSD.org on the
internet, hoping to try the FreeBSD OS.  We created the installation
bootdisk from the image file according to the instructions and our
floppy  boots successfully.  We perform the installation procedure, but
our subsequent boot from the hard drive produces message 'Can't find
/kernel'.  Entering a '?' shows
a file list of  '. .. dev usr var stand etc proc dist tmp'.  We received
no apparent errors during the
install procedure other than certain games and bin etc. could not be
loaded because it was not on
the install floppy, which I assume is OK.  We have  tried to disable all
devices and device drivers with conflicts; we have tried to partition
dedicating the entire disk to FreeBSD; we have tried to
partition with DOS and FreeBSD, all with the same results.  I do not
think the /kernel is being
loaded to the hard drive, though I do not understand why.  We are only
classroom  familiar with
UNIX and were intending to use FreeBSD as a way of learning more without
putting our production systems at risk.  Thank you very much for your
help.

Configuration:  Pentium 75mhz,   500 mg IDE hd,   32 mg RAM,   SVGA
controller

Curtis Grote            bmhpath@apci.net
Memorial Hospital
Belleville, Illinois