Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41258: converters/recode needs new port revision

The following reply was made to PR ports/41258; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To: Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>,
	freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG,
	FreeBSD Bugs <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:04:54 -0400

 On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:59:14PM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
 >On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 10:21:45PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

 >	IMHO, PORTREVISION bumps should be used for library updates
 >ONLY when there is some weird interaction that portupgrade won't
 >be able to handle. Example? Recent qt3 update to 3.0.5, kdebase3
 >and kdelibs3. portupgrade triggered compilation of kdebase3 but
 >kdelibs3 should be built 1st, we need to either change something
 >in the dependency list or do version bumps in that situation. Later
 >was preferred for a quick solution, the former is being pursued.
 >However, as you can see, this is not our standard practice.

 Naddy that's not what happened, Speaking as the one who did the fixes,
 I know.

 1. We found out the changes were transient.
 2. qt and kdelibs were added the metaport.
 3. big warnings were added to to the kde3 metaport and the qt30 port,
    as this situation applies to any upgrade from qt <= 3.0.4 to qt >=
    3.0.5.

 As there is no way to express this unusual dependency, not even using
 PORTREVISION, no kdelibs PORTREVISION bump was made, since it does not
 fix the problem, which is that the Trolls broke their own rule and blew
 binary compatibility between 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 in the uic plugin
 interface, which is how kdelibs tells uic where to find the class
 include files. (Why a search of the include path and some naming
 conventions would do this just as well, I don't know). But this could,
 of course, break other things that we just don't know about, so the
 warning to just blow out kdelibs if your doing an affected upgrade is
 the most effective thing I could do.
 --
 AlanE
 KDE-FreeBSD Team