Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:46:02 +0000
From:      Greg Bonett <greg.bonett@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to destroy zfs parent filesystem without destroying children - corrupted file causing kernel panick

Many months ago, I believe some *very bad hardware* caused corruption of a
file on one of my zfs file systems.  I've isolated the corrupted file and
can reliably induce a kernel panic with "touch bad.file", "rm bad.file", or
"ls -l" in the bad.file's directory (ls in bad.file's dir doesn't cause
panic, but "ls bad.file" does).

This is a raidz zpool, but zpool scrub doesn't fix it - it eventually
creates a kernel panic.

My next plan is to attempt to get rid of this file by zfs destroy(ing) the
entire filesystem. The corrupted file is on /tank, and I've copied all of
the good data onto a new zfs file system, /tank/tempfs/.

However, I can't figure out how to destroy the /tank filesystem without
destroying /tank/tempfs (and the other /tank children).  Is it possible to
destroy a parent without destroying the children? Or, create a new parent
zfs file system on the same zpool and move the /tank children there before
destroying /tank?

/tank and it's children are about 4.2 TB and I don't have the disk space
readily available to copy the whole thing (but I can get the space if it's
the only way to do this).

Thanks in advance for the help.

--Greg

system info:
FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #1 r243694
amd64
16GB ram

'zpool upgrade' gives:
This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.
All pools are formatted using feature flags.
Every feature flags pool has all supported features enabled.

'zfs upgrade' gives:
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.
All filesystems are formatted with the current version.