Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 17:39:53 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

The Classiest Man Alive scribbled this message on Sep 6:

well.. after a little research into sendmail.. I found that adding a
few lines like:
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(genericstable)dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(your.domain.name)dnl

then create a file /etc/genericstable with entries like:
username realname@real.domain.name

do this for all users that sendmail from the system.. then you will
never have a problem.. (make sure you build the hash table if you don't
have "define(`confAUTO_REBUILD', `True')dnl" in your mc file...

this will make sure the sendmail when it prepares the envelope for your
message.. it will convert the local username to the one in the
genericstable file..  so the remote side won't see you false domain
unless you don't have an entry for that person...  this will also cause
cc's to the local machine get converted so the outside world will be
able to reply to 'em properly...

enjoy...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD