Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:00:57 -0600
From:      "Sloan, Kyle" <ksloan@datatimes.com>
To:        "'pat.groce@state.sd.us'" <pat.groce@state.sd.us>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

Basically, another Micro$oft luser.

For starters, it ran fine for 4 years.  You knew enough to backup the
"important" files, but not the system.  Ever hear of the dump command?
I guess that since the system was 4 years old, can we then assume that
you're still running Windows 3.11?  Maybe it's common practice to have
systems installed, but not have any of the installation media....

You are blaming us for _YOUR_ lack of knowledge.  Face it:
*  Odds are, the OS was out of rev
*  You didn't make a system backup
*  You didn't have installation media for your release
*  You chose to install a different rev than was previously installed
*  You don't pay enough attention to the OS to know that 3.0 is
development

Now, you can use your cute little artsy-farts GUI to configure "Sendmail
for NT", recode all of your majordomo listserves into Exchange, and
replace the boxes since you're "upgrading" to Windows NT.

And so far as your comment about FreeBSD not holding a candle to NT....
let's see anything Microsoft makes you pay money for beat a free
operating system.  I have yet to see an NT system have the uptime or
reliability of a FreeBSD system.

If you don't know better than to have a full system backup, then you
sure as hell aren't a sysadmin at any company I've worked for.

And if you need a GUI to configure things, then go buy Microsoft.  After
all, it's the OS that's designed for the lowest common denominator in
the gene pool.

Kyle Sloan
Data Communications Engineer
Oklahoma City Operations