Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2012 06:38:43 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        se@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal ipv6_addrs_common

----Security_Multipart(Tue_Feb__7_06_38_44_2012_931)--

Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <4F2FBAE4.1090901@freebsd.org>:

se> Am 06.02.2012 03:46, schrieb Hiroki Sato:
se> >  Yes, I agree that aliasN is fragile and renumbering is annoying.  I
se> >  am using a patch to allow the following syntax for a while:
se> >
se> >  ifconfig_tap0_aliases="
se> >         inet6 2001:db8:8888:2::1/64
se> >         inet6 2001:db8:9990-9999:3::1/64
se> >         inet 10.8.1.1/24
se> >         inet 10.8.0.1-10/24
se> >  "
se>
se> I like this, but it does not seem to be compatible with David Teske's
se> sysrc script. And even though that script has not been made part of

 I tried sysrc for a variable with multiple lines, but it looks
 working.  What is the compatibility issue more specifically?

se> A general syntax for this purpose is useful, but I'd rather not see
se> new-lines used for this purpose. For example, I have used "sort" to
se> prepare rc.conf files from different hosts for easy comparison with
se> each other. This will be broken, if entries cover more than one line.
se> There may be other breakage of that kind.
se>
se> So please choose a separator character that keeps lines intact ...

 Hmm, sorting rc.conf does not work in many cases because it can
 contains shell script statements other than variable definitions.  I
 am using a for loop to define multiple vlan interfaces, for example.
 If we need a feature for comparison, some kind of normalization to
 extract variables and their values is needed just like sysrc does.

 I admit 1-line-for-1-variable would be simple and that is a way we
 have used and expected and I will not rush into an idea with multiple
 lines.  However, it is also true that enumeration like aliasN,
 more-or-less caused by the 1-line policy, has caused annoying issues
 and created similar knobs whose functionality is almost the same as
 each other.

 I will try to create another patch to support a separator other than
 a newline, anyway.

-- Hiroki