Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:47:17 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <avatar+july2001@kew.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

>>From: "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
>>To: "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>
>>Cc: <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
>>Subject: Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated
>>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:41:13 -0400

I don't think there's anything different in the *kernel* when switching
single user. However, key programs such as init, are *not* running as
single user mode. And, indeed all daemons and gettys are shut down, so
the only process running should be your sh'ell, given that you have not
started the make world process.

The thing with multi-user, is that it's made to keep a lot of stuff
running. Just having getty running on a port might be a problem on a
major system upgrade, if this port is connected to a modem where a user
connects and starts a shell etc...

The other thing is that to "shutdown lotsa daemon" is often equivalent
to "shutdown now" (switch to single user)....

A.

--
Antoine Beaupré
Jambala TCM team