Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:57:55 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Elizabeth Myers <elizabeth@interlinked.me>,  Anna Wilcox <AWilcox@wilcox-tech.com>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>,  Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>,  "sparc64@freebsd.org" <sparc64@freebsd.org>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 doesn't care about you, and you shouldn't care about Sparc64
References:  <563A5893.1030607@freebsd.org> <2AAC0EF3-528B-476F-BA9C-CDC3004465D0@bsdimp.com> <20151108155501.GA1901@alchemy.franken.de> <563F8385.3090603@freebsd.org> <56417100.5050600@Wilcox-Tech.com> <CANCZdfqO-SdjnonGzRr2H0pDon5oALsDGsmG3KOxPGRVdTbHPQ@mail.gmail.com> <39947478-4710-47D8-BAB1-FC93979570B6@mail.turbofuzz.com> <f4d1114833994331bd1fd2273f305abc@XCH-RTP-005.cisco.com> <5646D19C.9010304@interlinked.me> <CANCZdfoH7i9MBxjw1j4Pc3CpiZP=aP5vah2ay38cazkc7%2BreTA@mail.gmail.com> <564A889C.9070209@mu.org>

On 16 November 2015 at 17:53, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> wrote:

> On 11/14/15 9:16 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Elizabeth Myers
>> <elizabeth@interlinked.me>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You are seriously going to use "we're not NetBSD" as an argument?
>>

>> You noticed I didn't reply to it. The argument is completely lame. FreeBSD
>> runs
>> today in a variety of markets. Some new, some not so new. The thing that
>> makes
>> each of these areas unique is that there's a thriving community around
>> them,
>> FreeBSD still runs well enough on these machines to get something done,
>> and
>> when things break, they get fixed in a timely manner.
>>
>> Alpha was removed because it got broken by some changes, and stayed broken
>> for a long time despite repeated requests to fix it. Sparc64 is on the
>> cusp
>> of that:
>> some minor things are broken, but have been fixed. The current crisis is
>> due to
>> the end of life of gcc in the tree and its fallout coupled with some
>> neglect of the
>> port due to time constraints.
>>
>> At first I was all for removal. With more data, I'm less sure. If the
>> promises are kept
>> made in this thread, it looks to remain viable for a while, though the
>> lack
>> of a
>> qemu-user solution means that packages for a slow platform (where they are
>> really quite useful) will remain limited. Maybe there's enough hardware
>> around
>> that third-party pkg repos can fill the gap, maybe not. I think we should
>> experiment
>> with this model and see what it produces. Give the branching of 11 as the
>> deadline
>> to show something viable...
>

> One of the things I never understood about FreeBSD's method of maintaining a
> port was the way the platform porting was done.  We really do things in a
> different manner than what my perception of other OSes is.
>
> My impression (please do correct me if I'm wrong) was that other OSes such
> as NetBSD and Linux had "platform maintainers".
>
> These maintainers were around to:
> 1) keep the ship sailing on those platforms
> 2) guide the general code base from becoming non-portable to other
> architectures (within reason).
> 3) drive the release of the architecture in question, helping the release
> engineer with image building and release testing.
>
> For point 1 above, what that meant to me was that let's say Linus or NetBSD
> in general wanted to do a major or minor change on a tier 1 platform, then
> it was the responsibility of the *platform maintainers* to do the work on
> the non tier-1 platforms to keep them up to date.  Those "platform
> maintainers" kept those ships sailing and in return they got to be called
> [...]

+1

-a