Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:01:23 -0400
From:      David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
To:        Joshua LeVasseur <jtl-freebsd@bothan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-ppc: gcc's SysV ABI and parameter passing

>>>>> Joshua LeVasseur writes:

Joshua> I think that this aspect of the SysV calling convention is really bad.
Joshua> If a data-type is 32-bits (whether or not it is expressed as a structure
Joshua> in the high level language), it should be passed by register when passed
Joshua> by value.

	Yes, the 32-bit PowerPC SVR4 ABI is rather inefficient in some
areas.  You can thank Sun for that part of the ABI.  This is one reason
that the 64-bit PowerPC SVR4 ABI is not an extension of the 32-bit PowerPC
SVR4 ABI (I'm not saying the 64-bit ABI is perfect either, we made
compromises).

	However, the 32-bit SVR4 ABI is the official, standard ABI.
Making private modification is arrogant and creates unnecessary
differences with user applications and standard tools.  Hopefully everyone
learned enough from the Unix wars to not go down that road.

David