Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:52:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Basically you are talking about an extension to the commit logging
> process.
>
> it would be good if the file also listed all files changed in that commit.

The problem is a little larger.

o	What if I'm on another branch?

o	What if my source code was checked out last Tuesday,
	and I've continued to CVSup?

o	What if I told CVS to check out by date, to ensure I
	got the code from last Tuesday?

The last one is the kicker, since it's what people are going
to use to reproduce problems, since really, what they want is
a "check out by serial number" so they can see the problems
someone is having with a given serial number, and fix them.

In other words, the serial number can't just be HEAD-invariant
per branch.

Nate's approach of raw reading and writing the RCS file is the
only workable one, I think, and there are still race windows
for a partially eddited file obtained via CVSup.  The only way
around this is a two stage commit replacement of the file, and
that leaves a sliver of a window where there is a "file.old"
and a "file.new", without a "file" linked to one or the other,
unless a hard link is allowed to replace a file, and CVSup will
probably barf on it not being there, so it would have to be
modified to back off and retry.

This is basically the reason I dsuggested a daemon, in my

-- Terry